Sunday, February 14, 2010




It has been a really long time since I have updated this blog, so here we go. Life in the Wilcox family household has been really busy these past few months. Since I last wrote on this blog I have retired from Delta Airlines, graduated with my BSNA, quit a job that I have loved for 24 years, and started as the new nurse manager of the NICU at UVRMC in Provo. I have had a daughter get married, we became "Empty Nester's", got released from my long time church calling, and have been to Maui for a vacation. Other than that life is just fantastic and I am keeping busy doing the things that I love. My job as the nurse manager in Provo has been a great challenge and a wonderful learning experience. I manage a level 3 NICU with about 144 staff members and a totally awesome unit. Learning to be a manager for Intermountain Healthcare is a very difficult undertaking if you had no previous experience. These past few months I feel that I have grown personally in my knowledge and understanding of a manager. I do have to say that I do miss being at the bedside of these tiny and sick infants. But, on the other hand I love what I am doing to help this unit grow and become an even better place to care for the newborn.

Since I no longer work 1000 hours a week, home life has changed as well. My wife Kathryn gets to have me home every night and my "Honey Do" list keeps growing. We are in the process of redoing our master bathroom with a new tile floor, sinks and vanity, fixtures, toilet, and possibly a new jetted tub if I can talk my wife into it.
We just got back from a quick annual trip to the beautiful island of Maui. We like to go every January and see the whales and get out of the cold and take a break from the winter blues. It makes the spring come faster and helps us to endure the rest of the cold weather. I also started to train for the upcoming Ragnar relay race held on June 18-19, 2010 where my team will be running from Logan to Park City in a 188 miles race.

Well that is a small taste of what we are up to and let's you know that we are still alive in the Wilcox household. Looking forward to the warmer temperatures and getting outside to enjoy the spring flowers.

5 comments:

Kimber said...

Glad to hear all is well. I'm officially on your Ragnar team so I'll be seeing more of you and your awesome neighbors. Those are hilarious pictures of you and your wife. I knew you did a lot of wild things, but had no idea you could fly.

Jackie said...

Congratulations on the new job. I am so happy for you but feel a bit sad that you do not have direct contact with the babies as you will forever be Cassie's first love!!! I love the pics of you and your wife, what fun you are having. That is how we will always remember you!!! Thanks for updating the blog it is a fun way to see how you are doing.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back to blogging! We sure miss you! Glad to hear all is well.

Armstrong said...

Well welcome back to the blog world. I have missed you at work. It sounds like things are going well down south. I am glad you do enjoy your new job. I am sure it was a hard change.

The trip to Maui sounds fabulous! Every January, huh? Something I may have to look into.

Keep posting and giving updates. Good to see what you have been up to.

Susan said...

Glad to hear you like your new job, we sure miss you around our place. You wouldn't believe how much your name still gets brought up! Not always nice things, but mostly :)